Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cooking

I am a relatively decent cook. Most of the feedback that I’ve received on my cooking tends to be fairly upbeat. This would, in large part, be due to the fact that the audience I cater to is quite lenient a judge, has no fancy tastes and is rather partial toward me. In other words, I’m the only one who eats what I cook.
I don’t really like cooking for others. I feel there’s too much pressure to get it right. This is why I like to put up a disclaimer before I start to cook anything, saying “This will not taste anything like what you expect it to. If you are still okay with eating it, let me know now, otherwise I am counting you out.” Most people wisely choose to abstain. Besides no one can ever be really sure exactly what someone like me might slip into the dish, and since most people I know avoid—almost religiously—some item of food or the other, they wouldn’t want to risk eating anything coming from my hands. All this, of course, suits me just fine. I cook, I eat.
I find cooking to be somewhat boring. I cook almost exclusively because I have to eat and am too broke or too lazy to order in or go out. So if I have to cook, here’s what I do—I pretend like I’m hosting my own little cook show. I imagine there’s a studio audience in front of me, three or four cameras around the place, a nice little hat on my head (still imagining, I don’t wear one for real!) and maybe even a surprise guest every so often. Sometimes I’ll pretend like I’m the guest on someone else’s show.
So as I’m throwing in the ingredients, I’ll look up and speak to the audience. I’ll try to do different accents on different days, just to make things a little more interesting. I like to toss the stuff in the pan up in the air every now and then. These days, it often falls right back in too! (Who says I can’t learn!)
Then, when it’s all ready and over I’ll sample it. It normally tastes worse than dog turds in mud, but I’ll somehow manage to put a brave, almost satisfied, expression on my face and go, “Wow! That is just simply dee-li-cious!”
I figure I’m a good showman but a bad cook. Heck, isn’t that exactly what they need for these shows? Maybe, I should apply for one. Hmmm.

6 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
ROFL...that's some funny stuff there.

I wish I kept my late mom's recipe card index...I still regret that, but I do manage to come pretty close to some of her dishes she made of me all those years ago.

I think she'd be proud.

I love to cook, but Wifey has a limited appreciation for different foods (thanks to HER parents).

Me, I like a lot of things, just not all at once...LOL.

We DO agree on one thing - NO CAULIFLOWER!
(no exceptions either)

:)

Anonymous said...

Don't believe her!! She is a great cook and has helped me out LOTS! Billie

Katie said...

I agree with mom!! Gram is a great cook! Stop being such a jerk to yourself and give yourself some well deserved credit!!!! Sheesh Lady!!

Anonymous said...

I know for a fact you make wonderful pies! And as far as I'm concerned, if you can make pie crust like you do, then you can make anything wonderful. Like your granddaughter says, you are too hard on yourself.

springtime36 said...

I remember 30+ yrs ago you told me how to make cake icing. I made it a few times,and it was wonderful. Now,that I'm a senior (for the second time) I forgot it. Help!!

ms nk rey said...

Wow thanks for the kind words but I am way past my prime cooking. I am in the thaw it out phase of my life. Sorry I have no clue about the icing recipe and my recipe box was a casualty of war.