Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Spam is more than canned meat

I get a lot of spam in my email accounts like most other people do.  I don’t exactly know how the spammers get some of my addresses, but they always manage to do so after awhile.  I still do not fully understand the whole concept of sending huge number of the same email over and over again is supposed to be good advertising.  Yes, I realize it is usually for male-enhancement pills and dating sites and I know that some people (somewhere around 5%) actually do respond to some of the spam.  Since email is cheap I can see how the profit outweighs the cost, one person buying the product (and many times it is a legitimate product if not a reputable one) can finance millions of emails.
But I really don’t understand spamming little known and sparsely read blogs like mine.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MsN:'
There are companies that have your name and then sell that info to others...THERE is where the money is made.
Gotta be careful with such DATA-MINERS.

One place on the west coast has LOTS of information about everyone...names, aliases. addresses, relatives (and their information), email addresses, and they ask IF you want to OPT OUT, to send them a LETTER at your expense.
I never opted the hell IN, did I?

It's a nasty cycle...and we're all but at their mercy.
BTW, I LOVE the real SPAM.

Good post.
Stay safe (and tornado-free) down there.

CWMartin said...

Have you seen my posts about the friends blog which had one obscure 3 year old post set upon? It had to have been over three hundred and fifty spam comments in about 2 1/2 weeks before I lost the amusement and unsubscribed. Intelligence is obviously not a requirement.