Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Stuff so much Stuff

Stuff.. lots of stuff. My house is bursting with stuff. My stuff, my kids stuff. Keep sakes and clutter. Our whole lives we spend acquiring stuff. Our success is measured in part by how much stuff we own. New stuff, antique stuff, good stuff and stuff to jog our memory. In all my years I have never seen a u-haul following a hearse. So what happens to all this stuff we leave behind? Most of my stuff is ordinary. Nothing remarkable or valuable. But almost everything I own contains a memory.
Before I get too excited, I should find out what the stuff is worth. Not how much an appraiser says it's worth - what someone will pay me. I will probably be surprised at what my "priceless" antiques are worth.
The ultimate decision of what to do with any of these belongings is mine.
I am seeing how much work and stress is involved in this cleaning out process and I would like to make my exit easier on the ones left behind.
What I am trying to say (and obviously not very well) I am NOT talking about getting rid of my stuff. I am talking about the burden of what we leave behind is for our children .. or family.. how hard it is for me to do the right thing.. what is the right thing? we spend our life gathering things and in the end it means nothing but work for those left behind.
____________________________________________

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

That's why I gather the cheap stuff. The decision to keep or not is a dumpster away.

Bob G. said...

MsN:
I know what you mean.
There is some stuff that I would do what Chris plans (the dumpster), but other stuff needs to be passed on, as it were.
Maybe it's part of the "legacy" gig.
I should think about making up some kind of WILL...sometime soon, just in case.
Memories need to be preserved, no matter what form it might take, as long as they're good memories.