Friday, November 5, 2010

RIP Sparky Anderson

Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson, who directed Cincinnati's Big Red Machine to back-to-back World Series championships and went on to win another title in Detroit in 1984, died Thursday. He was 76.
Anderson was the first manager to win World Series titles in both leagues and the only manager to lead two franchises in career wins.

Here are a few of my favorite Sparky quotes:

1. A baseball manager is a necessary evil.

2. I only had a high school education and believe me, I had to cheat to get that.

3. Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings.

4. People who live in the past generally are afraid to compete in the present. I've got my faults, but living in the past is not one of them. There's no future in it.

5. The great thing about baseball is when you're done, you'll only tell your grandchildren the good things. If they ask me about 1989, I'll tell them I had amnesia.

Rest in Peace Sparky.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to wish Morgan's daddy a very Happy Birthday today.

Happy Birthday Jimmy!

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I really liked Anderson...
Hell anyone named "Sparky" that managed a ball club has MY vote.

And even though I never met you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JIM!

May you stay well, andlive long enough to be a GREAT grand-dad!!

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone.