Monday, December 3, 2012

And the walls came tumbling down

100_3254 (800x623)
They started around noon today.  Unloading a big yellow machine from a semi. Within an hour of the start time the old house was for all practical purposes gone.

100_3259 (800x562)
There was a lot of noise, and a lot of dust.
100_3264 (800x589)
He started at the back and soon I could see thru the windows and just that quick the back half was demolished.  I watched as it broke free of the foundation and started swaying back and forth.  But the demo man knew his stuff and it fell inward just as he had intended.
100_3270 (800x596)
This was a large home and had 3 nice sized bedrooms upstairs,  a very large kitchen, one bathroom,  a bedroom down and a nice living area with a neat alcove. Off the kitchen was a nice sized laundry room.
100_3275 (800x600)
And now it is a big old pile of rubble. The owner had moved out and more of less abandoned it years ago and the town finally condemned it and order the demolition.  I have very mixed feelings about this.  Yes it was an eye sore but also I think our town lost a little piece of its history when it came down.  Since I often share what is out my back door now you know what is out my front door. 
                                   And a picture of Miss Morgan.

4 comments:

CWMartin said...

I like to study about the old towns that littered Allen County in the mid to late 1800s and early 1900s. I get kinda the same feeling thinking that a place where people once lived is now a cornfield, or a dump, our a completely new subdivision. A feeling of something lost that meant something once.

ms nk rey said...

Yes Chris, all day I was thinking of the family that built the house and how excited they must have been. I wonder who they were and how would the feel to see their home now a pile of rubble. Yet on the other hand it was a dangerous eyesore. It is a wasteful shame and a loss.

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Having taken4 years of DRAFTING classes in H.S. a LONG time ago (and never followed up on THAT), I still enjoy the older architectures that abound here in the Midwest...you all have a great source of history (as you've said).

And it saddens me to see ANY of it torn down, either by neglect, or by fire or natural disasters.

Damn shame.

And Morgan is being a REAL GOOD girl for Santa, I'll wager, right?

Good post and pictures.

Stay safe down there.

ms nk rey said...

Morgan is always a good girl. I suspect she will make a good haul this Christmas. I am sort of odd about old things, maybe because I am an old thing, but I always think when an old person dies it is like a library burning down in a way. My grandma died at age 104. And when I think of all the things she saw it is a bit overwhelming. From the Automobile to electric lights to inside plumbing. What a life she had. What new things she experienced.