Tuesday, December 11, 2012

darkness and light

Just ten more days till the winter solstice.  Then it will start slowly getting lighter again. It is dark when we get up and dark before the 5 o’clock news comes on.  Today it is foggy and rainy with no snow on the ground to reflect any available light. Every day or so the sun comes out for a little bit and I squint gratefully into the light. Some people seem to like this time of year. They call it cozy.  Me, I feel all out of sorts and almost depressed. I will slog on thru this dark time of year and wonder why, even , when I know to expect this dark dismal time I let it affect me. 


 grateful
 [greyt-fuh l] 

adjective
1.warmly or deeply appreciative of kindness or benefits received; thankful: I am grateful to you for your help.
2.expressing or actuated by gratitude: a grateful letter.
3.pleasing to the mind or senses; agreeable or welcome; refreshing: a grateful breeze.

Origin:
1545–55;  obsolete grate  pleasing (< Latin grātus ) + -ful

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MsN:
You're not alone in how you feel.
I get like this from time to time, and THIS time of year is a bit more "intense"...
Still, to have that gratitude for LIFE is better than spending time walking down Depression Boulevard.
I agree with you there.

I would prefer the longer days, too. Shorter days makes me feel like time is slipping out from under me.

Good post.

Stay safe down there.