Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Problems

I live in a big old two story house. It was, in fact, the town hotel in its hey day.  It is in the county historical registry and was built in the 1860’s.  There is a lot of history in these 4 walls for sure.  It sat downtown, about 3 blocks east of here, and was moved to this location on logs pulled by horses.  There are 5 large rooms down and 4 large rooms and a very large wide hallway up.  The up rooms are 3 bedrooms and a bathroom with the little dressing room converted to a laundry room . It just made sense when all my boys were at home.  The down rooms are a very large living room with open stairway, formal dining room, kitchen, den and sun room with a half bath. It all sits on a full basement.
Now that you have an idea of my set up. Here is my problem
I have COPD, I am on oxygen 24/7 and since it is a degenerative disease it is getting very hard to navigate the stairs.  Then there is my stubbornness, my pride and my shame of my condition.  I do manage to get up and down the stairs by sitting and resting every few steps but it is exhausting.  I am finally coming to the realization that it is stupid for me to stress my body, my energy and my mind by being proud and stubborn.  So a few weeks ago I started checking eBay and Craig's list for a stair lift.  You know those handy little chairs you sit in and it safely takes you up or down the steps.  Well I found one in Waterloo but it was on the wrong side of the steps. More searching turned up one that sounded perfect in Noblesville.  With out going into detail I will just say it did not work out after wasting 2 days of gas and time.
Yesterday I ordered one. It will be custom fit and delivered  to my door in 3 to 5 business days. 
Since I am on disability I had hoped that Medicare would help pay for it.  It does not. They say it is a luxury. But they will get me a scooter. HA. It is a big expense for me, but it will allow me to remain in my home for a good long time I hope. Life is looking up.

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Goodness, I had no idea as to ALL the history of your house...astounding!
Moved it on LOGS with horses pulling it...I would PAY to have seen that!
There should be some photos somewhere at the local library.

And I understand your dilemma w/ COPD and how quickly you can get tired.
I'm glad you're getting a stair-lift, BUT...Medicare/Medicade SHOULD think of it as a NECESSITY and not (just) a "luxury"...!

But they WILL get you a scooter???
Okay, how's THAT going to get UP the damn stairs???
Whatta bunch of loons running that show.
Those jerks will allow FRAUD, but whenever a REAL claim come across, they say "nope, sorry"...Something VERY WRONG there, dear.

Hang in there.
Stay strong.
Stay safe down there.

Anonymous said...

I still say.....get the scooter....sell the scooter and buy the stair life.....screw the idiots at Medicare!
Snakefoot

CWMartin said...

Or you can match my pay scale and I'll piggyback you up and down the stairs;)

I hope you'll post on how you like it (or not) when you get it installed. Maybe then you can change your blog title to "Ups and Downs"...OK, maybe not.