Thursday, April 17, 2014

Bullying


When I was first asked the question: "Have you ever been the target of bullies? Bullied others?" I thought that  I wouldn't have anything to relate to. I was thinking about high school and elementary school and I wasn't really bullied. Teased, sure, but not bullied.
Then they asked me being bullied outside of school.   My ex-husband was very verbally abusive. I asked "Do you think verbal abuse is bullying?" I got a yes. They said "yes I think verbal abuse is bullying. Words hurt and lower a person's self worth."  This blew my mind a little bit.  What I thought was normal was actually abuse.
I never thought I could relate to being bullied even tho I lived for years and years with a bully. He used to call me names, tell me I am worthless and lazy, make me feel like I did not deserved everything he did. He was, thankfully, rarely physically abusive, so I really did not think that I was being abused. Now I see that I was. It took years, but I can see that now.
Honestly, and we are being honest here, I sometimes wished he was more physically abusive. Then I would have had a good reason to leave. I felt like the verbal abuse was not a good enough reason. Physical abuse is something you can see. Something that leaves marks and scars. Something that I can point to and say "That is wrong."
After this small revelation,  I was  very sad. I was sad for all the people being bullied, all the bullies, and me. Why can't we just treat everyone else with respect?

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Been there in a much younger lifetime...dealt with it myself.
(a book bag full of texts to the head does WONDERS...lol.)
Verbal abuse can be just as devastating, too.
Mental cruelty is another name for it.

What is REALLY weird is the story the BLAZE posted today about a NEBRASKA school that sent home a flyer about "being bullied".
Parents tore into those morons at the school over this, and when you read the "nine rules", you'll know why.

Real respect has to be EARNED (that means applying oneself to WORK at being a person worthy of respect from others, and many people can't be bothered with trying perform THAT kind of "labor", so they act out and become fools, demanding respect where none is warranted.

Very good post.

Stay safe down there.

CWMartin said...

In our family's experience, bullying is done by those with self-esteem problems to artificially bolster their self esteem. Both myself (with my dad) and my son (with his mom) know how it feels.