Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A year ago

One year ago today my sweet grandson Aa was riding his motorcycle to Bluffton to get a hair cut.  Part way there a mini van pulled out from a side road and Aa clipped the back of the van. Some how he managed to steer around most of it and keep his bike upright and made it to a grassy ditch. 
He had a badly injured right foot.. I was home and I heard an ambulance go by , I had no idea that it carried my precious boy to Lutheran Hospital.  I later got a call from his mom telling me what had happened. 
As more details came available  I learned that the driver of the van was from Burma or Myanmar or what ever it is called to day.  He had a license and insurance and he did not speak English. Yup you guessed it.. he had the very very minimum you can carry.. $15,000.  and that probably did not even cover the ambulance and ER fees. So here we have a badly injured young man, thru no fault of his, who is now in debt for hospital care.  You can't sue because the driver has nothing, will likely never have anything.  Aa is tough like his gram and even tho they had to amputate some of his foot, he is doing well and has gone on with his life.(He even got his black belt last Spring).. And yet nothing will ever be the same. 

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

Makes one wonder if "state minimum" should even be allowed... at least as is.

Bob G. said...

MsN:
This was a very tragic event, and I admire the strength your grandson has shown through such times.
I doubt if I could manage as well.
He got his black belt...and that isn't easy.

What I think SHOULD be done is when people come to this country, they should be "persuaded" to pay the highest premiums AT FIRST...until they can exhibit a level of financial responsibility as well as acuity behind the wheel.

The people who ever dreamed up this "no-fault" insurance BS should have been dragged into the street and shot.
Someone is usually ALWAYS "at fault".
And the wrong people keep paying for others mistakes.
That is just NOT right.

Stay safe down there, dear.