Saturday, July 16, 2011

Carbuncle

is a word that always strikes me as funny. One definition is medical : a painful local purulent inflammation of the skin and deeper tissues with multiple openings for the discharge of pus and usually necrosis and sloughing of dead tissue...and sounds disgusting and incredibly painful. Obviously this word came into that medical usage before the advent of the automobile. I can't recall a doctor ever describing a series of pus-oozing sores as carbuncles, but then I've - thankfully - never experienced them. I do think, however, that a carbuncle would be a much better description of a minor car accident. It would, if used in non-life threatening situations, almost make a person feel okay.

"Hey, John, I see you have a scratch on your fender."

"Yeah, I was involved in a carbuncle. Thankfully, a minor one. You should have seen the other guy's bumper! He just slid into me when I was stopped at a red light."

"Was it Wednesday? During the snow flurries? There were at least a hundred carbuncles around the city!"

"Yup. Everyone should know better and slow down. It's amazing the amount of carbuncles there are when the snow starts flying."

I have no idea why carbuncle came into my head today, but it did. And I am now trying to think of other seldom used words that could be repurposed and reused. Words that, as soon as you say them, a new meaning is instantly clear.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you must be older than me because I have to admit I have never heard that word...ever. Thats a new one.
AOB

Bob G. said...

MSN:n
ANd here I was thinking that a CARBUNCLE was like a BARNACLE on a VOLVO or something...LMAO.

Yep...never too old to LEARN something.

(and yes, I remember they had "remedies" at the old drug stores for such things...whatever they were.)

Nice funny.

Have a great Saturday.

Stay well down there.

CWMartin said...

I was thinking more like, "the box cars were linked by a carbunkle", or "the pilgrim fired his carbunkle at the deer, and it fell down dead." But I like your way, too. Either one is better than the truth.

Joanne said...

sounds familiar, but I would have never guessed that Carbunkle meant that!
Blessings, Joanne