Friday, July 29, 2011

Grow old along with me

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life
For which the first was made.
William Wordsworth

old-lady-717441

I very much doubt old Willie would find very many old people who would agree with that. My introduction to old people really surprised me. Old sort of crept up on me and I was not prepared to handle it. I suppose I should have known that life would not just go on forever as it had been for many years and that some day I would grow old , but I didn’t. Some grow old very gracefully, accepting the roadblocks that physical breakdowns toss at you, and are content with what their lives have become. Not being able to do the things they used to do and start getting used to attending funerals of all their friends instead of going to baptisms and weddings and other fun things.

Then there are the fighters that keep on doing the things they used to do and enjoying each day they have been given to the fullest. I want to be one of those. I’m trying, not that life hasn’t thrown a few crappy things at me, but I am concentrating on keeping the good things going for as long as I can.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I was exposed to seniors from a very yojng age...and I;ve grown to appreciate them more than you're supposed to, I guess.

I;m sorry, but they have SO much to share, and are often more than willing to do so.
It's refreshing to hear from days when eevenm I was not yet born.

We're losing more each day, but I'm with YOU...I am gonna fight for every day, if I must.

And be as willing to share as seniors that passed passed before me have.

Good post.

Have a great weekend.
Stay safe (cool and dry) down there.
(was that RAIN?)

Joanne said...

yes enjoy life and live! There was once a story I heard about a Nun who was very old, but enjoyed life to the fullest. She studied and was always learning something new. when she dies at an very old age they found that her brain was riddled with scarring from Alzheimer's desease. somehow since she kept her mind alive her brain made new connections.

Blessings, Joanne