Monday, July 18, 2011

The English language

The English language has taken an incredible beating the last few years with the advent of "liketalk"... I don't know what else to call it. What I thought was a passing fad - the typical American teenager's faddish interjection of the word "like" into every single sentence -- has become so rampant it is a disease. Even thirty year olds and business executives talk this way!
"Like" is used not only as "um" is used, a chronic and useless interrupter - it actually takes the place of adjectives, nouns, imagination, intelligence, etc. etc. etc.
For instance, you no longer have to say,
"She was furious at me.."
You just say,
"She was LIKE "aaaaaghh!"
No need for such tedious sentences as "He said, I'll take care of it." Now it's "He was LIKE I'll take care of it"
So you see there's no past tense any more, there's just the pea-brained characterization of any event, any shade of meaning, past, present or future, relevant or irrelevant, as "LIKE"
WHAT HAS HAPPENED?????

P.S. Yes I have been watching Big Brother.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha!! You don't even have to watch BB...just listen to some of the teenager's around.
It is really getting bad.
AOB

billie said...

And I was LIKE omigod...I'm so sure! :)

Anonymous said...

Like good one, billie

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Back in the prehistoric (school) age, our English teachers used to chide us whenever we used the words
"well...er...um...uh..."
Now it's "like"...and in epidemic proportions.

They called them "fillers" when doing public speaking, or class recitation.

I will say one thing about the overuse of the word "like"...
It's DAMN shorter than saying:
"yaknowhutahmsayin?" every third word...LOL.

But you knew that already.

Good call.

Stay safe down there.

Joanne said...

I start to completely tune out whenever I hear someone saying the word like a million times in a row, but I have to admit I think I have used "um" as a filler too ...way too often.
Blessings. Joanne

ms nk rey said...

Like Wow! Like thanks for all the like comments guys! Like it makes me like feel all like happy!.

CWMartin said...

We passed a trio of girls at TRF a week or so ago, and "like" was the only word I understood!