Friday, September 23, 2011

No means NO


I have to rant for a minute ...

Why can't some people just take "no" for an answer? I mean what is so hard to comprehend from the word "no?" I was thinking about a particular situation I was dealing with a couple days back and it kinda got resurrected today because Joe Schmo (that's what we'll call them) couldn't understand what "no" meant. When people ask the question,

"What part of 'no' don't you understand?"
I really think that there is a logic behind their asking that. Maybe these people don't actually understand what "no" means. Like salespeople or telemarketers...they just have no idea what "no" means. You try to be nice the first time with your "no," but when it doesn't register the first time you say it, you end up unfortunately having to get hasty with them...NO, NO, NO, NO! Geez Louise! I think maybe they've been conditioned or programmed to just not hear the word "no." I think it may go through their brain like this...
THEM: Hello, would you like to buy a "free" magazine subscription?
US: If it's free, then why do I have to buy it?
THEM: Oh, that's just a processing fee you're paying for...
US: How much is the processing fee then?
THEM: $49.95 plus tax...but that's all logistics. What credit card would you like to put that on?
US: Err, ___ thank you, I think I'll pass...
THEM: Oh...you're welcome. We accept Visa, MasterCard & American Express. You can go ahead and give me the 16 digits on your card now
US: Dude, I said ___ thank you!
NOTE: NOTICE THE LINE WHERE THE "NO" IS SUPPOSED TO BE! THAT'S THE PART THAT DOESN'T REGISTER FOR THEM.
THEM: You are very welcome. I'm ready for the card number when you are...
US: ____ THANK YOU! GEEZ!
THEM: I said you're welcome. Ma'am whenever you're ready...
US: ____, ________, ___________!
(CLICK)
That's pretty much how they hear our "no's". They just don't!
What is wrong with people??

Pushy guys, salespeople, telemarketers...NO MEANS NO MEANS NO! There's NO other way around it! NO!!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

This happened the other day to me not with a telenmarketer but with a nieghbor. finally I had to tell them seriously stop it!
they got the point. but why did I have to get angry why couldn't they just get it the first time?
You are right people just don't listen.
Blessings, Joanne

Anonymous said...

It starts as a kid asking for "something" over and over and over till mom caves in. Happens in the toy department all the time.

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Whenever some telemarketer slips through our "defenses", I just tell them we're on the NO CALL list in Indiana, and can I speak to their supervisor...never hear from them again for some strange reason.

I can say with conviction that when MY MOM said "no"..by God, she MEANT it.
Ditto for Dad.
(as I found out more than a few times)

Amazing how such folks have "selective hearing" when WE say NO.

Good post & comments.

Stay safe down there.