Monday, November 21, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

My new favorite show is A & E’s Storage Wars. The concept of the show is that the person renting the storage locker fails to pay their fees and then the storage facility sells the locker to the highest bidder. Very dramatically they cut the padlock and open the door. The bidders then have 5 minutes, with out entering the locker, to look inside, and with out touching or opening anything they make the decision to bid or not bid.

This show follows four basic bidders, Dave Hester (Yuuuup), Darrel Sheets (wearing his usual wife beater), Jerrod Schultz ( and his cute wife Brandi ) and lastly my favorite Barry Weiss. Along with the auctioneer Dan Dotson and his wife Laura.

As crazy as it sounds, a San Jose man looked through the contents of a storage locker he bought from Dan and Laura Dotson, he was shocked to discover a chest filled with 1,700 gold doubloons valued at $500,000.

The unit's previous lessee was an elderly woman who passed away earlier this year. Payments lapsed after her death and the storage facility turned to the Dotson's company, American Auctioneers, to handle the sale of the items left inside.

The lucky treasure hunter has declined to identify himself publicly. "I called the buyer, and the buyer wanted nothing to do with [publicity]," Dan Dotson said. "I talked with the manager of the storage unit and asked, 'Can I mention you,' and he said no. So I would like to share, but it would absolutely cost me an account."

According to some reports the buyer got the unit for $1100. He also bought another unit owned by the same person for $600. So since he got both units I am thinking it was Dave. (I hope it was Barry.) Unfortunately, this one wasn't caught on tape. This show is on A & E on Tuesday nights. If you like Antiques Roadshow you just might get hooked on this show too.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I like the show as does Wifey...I'm always answering here as DAVE would...LOL.
But I have no idea why Brandi and Jerrod got together...she's smarter than he is (good for her).

Barry cracks me up...always looking for the "big" score (could be me in another life...ROFL), and Darryl is just Darryl.

Talk about an "ultimate crap-shoot".

Love to try it a few times ('ya need money to potentially toss away, though), but if I were to check the units in OUR city, I'm afraid the DEA would want in on it...LOL.
The CA units obviously have a lot of cool stuff instead.

Good post.

Stay safe down there.
"YUUUUPPP"!

Joanne said...

I like the show too! It sort of makes you want to go and bid on one of those lockers right? though I have a feeling I would just get junk!
Blessings, Joanne