Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Milestones & Moments

“Life isn't a matter of milestones but of moments”
Rose F. Kennedy, mother of John F. Kennedy 
 
I look back over my life and I can see lots of moments that became milestones. Sometimes those moments are moments that we wished had never happened but they cannot be changed now. Life is made up of all of them, good and bad. Death, birth, that peaceful moment right before dawn, the light touch on the hand and the kick in the head, all add up to our moments that make up our life.
I can think of so many moments that are my milestones. The death of my dad, each one shaped my life in different ways. The birth of my boys, their creation only took a moment, their birth another moment. My grand kids are another moment that shaped my life. With the coming of them into my life, life became joyful again. Another moment, a look across a crowded room, a kiss under the stars... Other moments not so pleasant to remember, hands on my throat, a fist, a kick, drugs and drink... Hard to think of them as milestones but they were, they were a part of my life that shaped me and made me who I am today.
 





3 comments:

CWMartin said...

Thus my life verse is I Samuel 7:12- 12 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”

Joanne said...

I know what you mean...the good and the bad make us who we are. Sometimes the bad turn out to (in the end) be a positive too. Good post!
Blessings, Joanne

Bob G. said...

MsN:
That's some GREAT life philosophy.

And, if I were to pull out a movie quote from the bag, I'd go with one that was used in Batman Begins:
(paraphrased)
"It's not who we are that defines us...it's what we do".

Good, bad, or indifferent.
We pass the MILESTONES, and loose ourselves from any MILLSTONES in life.

Very good post.

Stay safe down there.