Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Blame It On Computers

Do you remember Penmanship Class in school?
When the teachers would teach us cursive writing, how to combine the letters. I would practice for hours. Then later in Jr. High (yes, I had Jr. High, not middle school), we would all practice improving our cursive. Writing our names in flowery cursive.
I used to write letters. Use stationary, unlined stationary at that!!
Now, I can't even read my own handwriting. Besides signing my name to the occasional card, I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter. I mean, actually wrote a letter by hand, not typed on the computer or emailed.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Jr. High...there was no such thing as middle school when I was growing up either.

My handwriting has also become quite appalling.

Bob G. said...

MSN:
We (I) pretty much STILL send on Christmas Cards, as well as condolence cards and the like...and they are NOT typed or emailed, but WRITTEN...BY HAND.

Keeps me in practice, and with arthritis, it ain;t easy come the holidays, but certain traditions NEED to be kept.

Call me old-fashioned, but I miss times when we used to get LOADS of cards from friends & family.
Not so these days.

Guess such things as "pen-pals" has been supplanted by "Global Texting Partners"...now "sterile" that sounds.

Really admired the kids in CATHOLIC schools...always had MUCH better cursive writing than WE did in public school...and they ahd the knuckles to prove it...lol.

Good post...makes 'ya think.

Stay safe down there.

CWMartin said...

At St. Louis Besancon, they only had penmanship as a grade one year out of the eight I spent there. D, D, D-, D+. I like to think I had something to do with dropping that calss.

CWMartin said...

"calss"?? and I got a's n b's in spelling! Yeesh!

Joanne said...

I remember having to tilt the page so that the letters were all slanted too!
Blessings, Joanne