Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Trash

When I was a child, I was taught to place my trash in the proper place. Once the trash can was full, the trash was either taken to the dump, or burned. If a large item needed to be disposed of, it was gathered up and placed in the pickup, and was taken to the dump along with the other trash. Trips to the dump didn't come along often, and I never passed up the opportunity to go!
Of course, back then, when dinosaurs roamed the earth there were no seatbelt or helmet laws. Children were allowed to sit in the back of the pickup and fight over who got to sit on "the hump", which was what we called the interior wheel wells let their hair become tangled beyond belief in the ensuing breeze! Their feet were usually bare, tan and dirty, and their noses were always a bit sunburned. Pure child abuse...;)

Unfortunately, today's children will never know the joy that comes from trips to the dump. You see, their parents think it's too far to drive. They also think that it's MUCH more convenient to just toss their trash out along the road as they head to, say, the grocery store.

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Wow, do I ever hear where YOU are coming from...couldn't agree MORE!

If America didn't take to all the "disposable" crap, we'd certainly have LESS trash (remember deposit bottles, anyone?)

I know I get tired of seeing these primates think of OUR property as the local "recycling plant".

Good post.

Stay safe down there.

Joanne said...

I can't stand litterbugs!!!!!
I was once talking to a teacher and she casually threw her wrapper on the ground. Instead of berating her and telling her what a slob I thought she was...I simply bent down and picked up the wrapper and threw it in the garbage that was only about 20 feet away. she turned all shades of red. great post!
Blessings, Joanne

CWMartin said...

I couldn't agree more!! Great post!