Thursday, July 15, 2010

Huh?

I have a hard time understanding what people say sometimes. Actually I have a hard time most of the time. I am losing my hearing and do not have hearing aids to help me. People that don't know me think I am ignoring them when they speak to me or snubbing them if they do know me. I have had people actually ask me if I was slow. It is hard to explain to people that I did not hear them speak to me or have them repeat what they said to me because I only heard a word or two. I smile and nod a lot in social situations or look like I am totally absorbed in something so I won't get approached. I miss a lot of what is being said and therefore I fill in the blanks and sometimes it is wrong. It has caused a lot of problems for me and so I stay out of situations where I will have to listen to a lot of different people. The internet has given me a chance to meet people that do not care if I can hear them or not. I can chat with someone and not have to say what did you say? I have met some wonderful people here. I am thankful for all that I have met. You have helped me to find out things about myself that I probably never would have known.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
While many people might suffer from HEARING problems, the REAL "burr under the saddle" happens when people develop LISTENING problems.
(I call it "selective hearing")

I don't think EITHER of us have THAT issue.

:)