Thursday, August 11, 2011

Good morning

Have you ever looked in the mirror and thought... UGH.... "I don't like myself today." Well, when you have COPD that may happen quite often to you.
I woke up this morning, looked in the mirror and decided... "I don't like myself today." You may ask "WHY", what does COPD have to do with "not liking yourself?"
Before I was diagnosed with COPD, I weighed in at a comfortable 135 lbs., my height 5'8" (not too bad), now I have gone way beyond that. The worst part is the barrel effect it has on our bodies and the steroids that we have to take.
My clothes do not fit the same way anymore. So you see... some days... "I just don't like myself" hopefully... "tomorrow I will like me again."
I have included an excerpt from an interesting article about COPD explaining about the barrel chest effect for those of you who do not know about it. After the underlined article are some of my restrictions. I have no idea why this is so heavy on my mind lately. Soon I will be back to a my cheerful self.

Typically patients with emphysema will have a very distinct "barrel chest." This is due to the problem with the lungs being in constant state of hyper expansion. The normal negative pressure required for inspiration and the positive pressure required for expiration is lost as the lungs are in a constant state of inflation. Therefore, expiration becomes an active task, increasing the work of breathing. The "barrel chest" is directly related to the ribs as they become fixed in the inspiratory position combined with the loss of elastic recoil of the lungs. Dorsal kyphosis, prominent anterior chest and elevated ribs will contribute to this appearance.

LIVING WITH COPD IS VERY RESTRICTIVE
It means I have to avoid strong odors, smoke, flowers, perfumes, cleaning agents, paints, solvents, vehicle exhaust, shaving lotion, bath powders, incense.
I also have to avoid temperature extremes or wind, crowds, molds, and dusty places because they make me short of breath.
PHYSICALLY:
Living with COPD can mean having difficulty walking up stairs or inclines, not walking very far, being unable to rush or "being rushed", tiring easily--especially if things last too long, being unable to tolerate tight clothing and inability to talk for any length of time.
SOCIALLY:
Living with COPD can mean coughing in public which attracts attention and embarrasses me, having to use or wear devices or equipment, or take medication which invites public comment (oxygen, cold weather masks, inhalers), being concerned (often excessively) about contact with cold or flu germs, having my friends make short, pleasant, smoke-less visits.
EMOTIONALLY:
Living with COPD can mean crying easily, angering easily, becoming frustrated and impatient because I can't do the things I used to do. Feeling resentful when others tell me, "You don't look sick." It can cause me to be panicky and tense, and becoming dependent and demanding because it's frightening when I can't breathe.
COPD AFFECTS MY FAMILY....
By having to adapt to my physical, emotional, social and environmental needs and limitations, often having to leave social functions earlier than they wish because of me or sometimes never getting there and by having to check out all of the details in advance, getting places early and all the while having to remain calm and reassuring at all times on my account.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
To me, it's always been about the PERSON "past the problem"...whatever the condition might be, seeing THEM, talking to THEM, and not dwelling or pausing to notice "things"...

I think that goes far to alleviate any self-consciousness they might have, because I know they do.

And I adapt my life to suit theirs whenever possible...out of respect.
It's not a inconvenience to me, or placation...it's an acknowledgement of their condition, and that they have indeed had to modify THEIR lives along the way.

The least I can do when I'm with them is to accept it and talk to THEM...be with THEM (and not whatever device assists them).
I know I'm kinda weird maybe, but it's just how I was brought up.

A Very Good post.

Take care and enjoy the break in the heat down there.

CWMartin said...

A lot different explanation than the "Oh, my life was terrible, then I found this magic pill" stuff we get on commercials. Very well done and very thought provoking.