Monday, December 5, 2011

“Tis the Season


The holidays are upon us--or perhaps I should say that we are currently knee deep in mistletoe, dreidels, and with all of the eggnog-inspired haze, it's probably a good time to remember the true reason for the season.
But don't expect me to define that reason here.
While some traditionalists (myself included) will most certainly point to the obvious--that this is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ--mercantilism will undoubtedly pursue a more commercial vision. I won't bother venturing my own opinion, which is as valuable as the morals espoused in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Frosty The Snowman, and It's a Wonderful Life. I will, however, offer this one suggestion. During this season of commerce, worship, and celebration, one would be well served to at least take at least a little time to reflect on the dichotomy of the idea of the western Christmas season versus the spirit of the celebration of Christ's birth as taught in most other Christian traditions. And don't get me started on Black Friday, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Boxing Day. Once they get their own stop-action animated holiday specials, they'll be eligible for consideration as legitimate.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Well said.


I remember the first Christmas after I really "got" who Jesus is. It was amazing, I wish that for everyone:)

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Wonderfully said.
(not to mention, as a child, I thought it was really cool to get "gifts" on Jesus' birthday...made you wanna take a bit more CARE with them,'cause they were HIS - on loan to you)

Ah, such innocence...I miss that.

Good post.

Stay safe.