Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Change


I once dreamed of changing the world, and I have failed at that.

One of my favorite movies is “It’s A Wonderful Life”, so I’m aware that every person touches many other lives in one way or another. Obviously, my children and grandchildren wouldn’t be here if I hadn’t lived. So of course I've made some differences in the world.
What really got me thinking along these lines is that recently I was going thru some old family pictures. When Grandma died in the late 1960's, the funeral home was packed. Everyone in that little town seemed to know her then.
But now nobody recognizes the lady in that old picture. No one remembers. Grandma lived a good life, and affected the lives of her neighbors, friends, and relatives. Grandma was a hard worker and she wrote a weekly column for the Pharos Tribune newspaper. Her only son fought in World War II. Her only daughter was a newspaper woman, when women were only teachers or nurses. Grandma made a much bigger contribution than I ever will.
And yet, wars kept happening. Crime got ever worse. Poverty in third-world countries wasn’t affected by her life at all.
Sure, I’ve written a blog here and there, that made somebody smile. But I’m talking about the vast scheme of things.
When I was young, I remember watching the news, seeing people who were willing to go to jail for a cause: the civil rights movement. And I wished I could be a part of something that big and meaningful. Years later I saw a documentary on PBS about Mother Theresa, made after she won the Nobel prize. There was a woman who made a difference! That’s what I’m talking about.
But the truth is, I just didn't put myself on the front lines that way. I was too busy living my life and raising my family.

But I so wanted to change the world.

5 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I often think the same way...

BUT, I then think about all the miniscule changes I made in my life...and how they all seem to have some sort of cumulative effect, if not in MY life, then in the lives of others.

Your raising that family HAS made changes,,important ones.

WHat I find is that by OUR OWN LIFE, we DO affect changes in OTHER people's lives, and so it goes...like passing it FORWARD.

It's true that some things in life never seem to change, and that it seems to be getting WORSE, (my neighborhood for one) but we need to concentrate on being the best "US" we can be nevertheless, so that others may observe...and learn...and thereby teach others.

THAT is the kind of change we never see, yet makes more difference than we could imagine.

A handful of us are fortunate enough to enact that BIG change we all would like to perform, while the rest of us make all the little "tweaks" to the big picture, and go unnoticed and unseen.

That doesn't take away from what WE are doing.
Not one bit.

If I had a sibling, I would want her to be JUST like you.
You're not afraid to THINK...and WONDER.
I admire that.
No brag...just fact.

Keep the Faith!

Anonymous said...

NEVER think you have not changed the world. I would not be who I am without you! Thank you for being you. I love you very much. Billie :)

springtime36 said...

HEY!We never get to see each other often,but you are one of my special life long friends.Many days I sit and think about our many adventures together...God bless you!

ms nk rey said...

Wow! Gee thanks I appreciate the kind words. Sometimes I think too much I guess. Maybe it is something that we automatically do as we get older. Thanks for taking time to stop by here daily I really am grateful for my friends and family.

CWMartin said...

Keep in mind what I'm trying to keep in mind w/Joshua over on my blog: The front line for any individual is a very narrow strip. Even the man who reaches the hearts of many can only do it one at a time.