Wednesday, September 15, 2010

schadenfreude

scha·den·freu·de [ shad'n fròydə ] or Scha·den·freu·de [ shad'n fròydə ]

noun

Definition:

gloating at somebody else's bad luck: malicious or smug pleasure taken in somebody else's misfortune

[Late 19th century. < German< Schaden "harm" + Freude "joy"]

Courtesy of the Simpsons: "When Flanders Failed"

Lisa: Dad, do you know what Schadenfreude is?
Homer: (sarcastically) No, I do not know what Schadenfreude is. Please tell me, because I'm dying to know!
Lisa: It's a German term for 'shameful joy', taking pleasure in the suffering of others.
Homer: Oh, come on Lisa. I'm just glad to see him fall flat on his butt!

Have you ever known someone who loves it when bad things happen to others? Who knew there was a word for it? In my many years on this earth I have met several such people and to be honest may be one myself. Figure skaters falling on their a$$e$; a straight-A student getting a B; exes getting STDs—all cause for secret, malicious joy. I am ashamed. But, not terribly so. For instance 'Schandenfreude' is basically 'Better Him Than Me'. This has been described by scholars as (are you ready), "Social Comparison Theory and Service Recovery." Having tried myself to read this treatise, and having actually completed the first paragraph, I subscribe wholly to the, 'Better Him Than Me' position. Thus, now realizing my position in society will be solidified for all time, I must make a choice. I ponder briefly.........nope. Don't feel a bit guilty. Next!

chickenschadenfreude

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I have to admit that I'm TOTALLY on board whenever BAD things happen to BAD people...kinda like that whole "comeuppance" thing.

And a laugh with that special kind of laugh...the one that comes from DEEP in your gut.

I mean there are people that live to smirk at OUR misfortunes...and while WE might not be aware of it..."SOMEONE" is watching everything...
(thankfully)

I don't go out of my way to enjoy it, or even to cause it or administer it, but whenever such things present themselves TO me (for whatever reason), I will smile, if only on the inside.

Very thought-provoking...I really liked this.

CWMartin said...

As long as I smirk at MINE first, and am not trying to be malicious, a little 'Schandenfreude' don't hurt.