Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Comfortable

So I got this in an email from a very dear friend, and I thought it would be fun to put on here and see how many people remember these things. Ah being young is beautiful but being old is comfortable.

ENJOY!

Someone asked me the other day, 'What was your favorite fast
food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed
him. 'All the food was slow.'

C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. 'Mom cooked
every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the
dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was
allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was
going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part
about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my
childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore
Levis, set foot
on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving
charge card the card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was
Sears & Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he
died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly
because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed
probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 6. It
was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at
midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza; it was called 'pizza
pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese
slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that,
too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 4. It was an old black Dodge.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house
was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could
dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know
weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered
newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost
7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at
6AM every morning. On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his
customers. His favorite customers were the one s who gave him 50 cents
and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the
ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in
the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were
responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or
violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you
may want to share some of these memories with your children or
grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house, he brought me an
old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a
bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter
had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or
something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing
board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons Man,
I am old.


1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
God, that sounded SO like my childhood back in Philly!
(rabbit ears on the TV that reacted to anyone driving by with a car or an airplane flying over)

And mom had her "sprinkle bottle" (one of dad's beer bottles) with the cork and metal stopper in it.
The ironing board had a WOODEN framework, too.

Permanent Press?
(WTH was that?)

Used to be those times when we had a lot more things for a lot more people...for a LOT LESS.

I miss those days...

:)