Thursday, December 3, 2009

What is COPD

It is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, it is a progressive disease that makes it hard to breathe. Progressive means it gets worse over time.

COPD can cause coughing that produces large amounts of mucus, wheezing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and other symptoms.

Cigarette smoking is the leading cause of COPD. Most people who have COPD smoke or used to smoke. Long-term exposure to other lung irritants, such as air pollution, chemical fumes, or dust, also may contribute to COPD. Mine is from smoking.

I guess to understand COPD, it helps to understand how the lungs work. The air that you breathe goes down your windpipe into tubes in your lungs called bronchial tubes, or airways. Your airways are shaped like an upside down tree with many branches. at the end of each branch is an air sac. The air sacs and the airways are elastic, meaning when you breathe in each sac fills with air, sort of like a balloon and when you breathe out, the sac deflates.

When you have COPD, less air flows in and out, because the airways and air sacs have lost their elasticity. The walls between the air sacs have been destroyed, or they have become thick and inflamed and have more mucus than usual which will clog the airways. The term COPD includes two main conditions, emphysema and chronic obstructive bronchitis.

In emphysema, the walls between many of the air sacs are damaged, causing them to lose their shape and become floppy. This damage also can destroy the walls of the air sacs, leading to fewer and larger air sacs instead of many tiny ones. In chronic obstructive bronchitis, the lining of the airways is constantly irritated and inflamed. This causes the lining to thicken. Lots of thick mucus forms in the airways, making it hard to breathe. Most people who have COPD have both emphysema and chronic obstructive bronchitis. Thus, the general term "COPD" is more accurate. COPD is a major cause of disability and it's the fourth leading cause of death in the United States. More than 12 million people are currently diagnosed with COPD. An additional 12 million likely have the disease and don't even know it. COPD develops slowly. Symptoms often worsen over time and can limit your ability to do routine activities. Severe COPD may prevent you from doing even basic activities like walking, cooking, or taking care of yourself. Most of the time, COPD is diagnosed in middle-aged or older people. The disease isn't passed from person to person—you can't catch it from someone else. COPD has no cure yet and doctors don't know how to reverse the damage to the airways and lungs. However, treatments and lifestyle changes can help you feel better, stay more active, and slow the progress of the disease.

Even though I may not look sick, I am. My COPD is mainly is characterized by extreme shortness of breath. This condition is very restrictive I avoid strong odors, smoke, flowers, perfumes, cleaning agents, paint, solvents, shaving lotion, scented candles, etc.

I also avoid crowds, dusty places, molds, and extremes in temperatures and windy conditions, because they leave me gasping for breath.

I have difficulty walking up stairs, I can’t walk far, I sure can’t be rushed and believe it or not it is hard for me to talk for any length of time. Oh, and restrictive clothing also makes breathing difficult for me.

I think I have adapted to my COPD emotionally very well. And I can actually do most of the things I need do with in reason. Right now I am avoiding public contact because of the H1N1 flu. I am hoping this blog can help other suffers of COPD as we cope with this disease day after day. I think it is helpful to know what to expect.

We all need some humor in our lives, especially those who are living with a chronic disease, they say humor is the best medicine !

Remember to take time to smile every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good information and I applaud you willingness to share it with others. You are always in my prayers.
Snakefoot

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Thanks for explaining this.
I know my Mom had developing COPD, and a neighbor passed fromm complications.

For people used to being active, this has to be devastating, but since we're adaptable creatures, we make due, I suppose.

I know I have to remind myself constantly, that I'm no longer in my 20s when it comes to tackling repairs about the house.
Arthritis isn't a walk in the park, either.

Some days I hurt in places I didn't even know existed.
Everyday things yoh perfromed without thinking become tedious, so yoyu "adapt" to ease the problem.

Tell 'ya one thing...this whole "getting older and wiser" thing is somewhat overrated...
Got some of the WISER part down pat...it's the OLDER gig I'm struggling with.

Stay well.
And I promise to smile...

:)

(there ya go)

Anonymous said...

This post made me smile. Not for what COPD is or how terrible it gets but because of the way you deal with it. You don't let it get you down and to that I say GOOD FOR YOU!
Stay strong and positive.
RB