Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to save money on gas

GasTankIllustration

Is your wallet like mine? Mostly empty from rising prices. While I am retired and don’t put that many miles on my car any more, rising gas prices really dig into my limited income. A lot of the way to get better mileage is just common sense.

1. Don’t use premium fuel if you don’t have to.

Don’t buy premium fuel thinking that your engine will run better. The only difference you will see is less money in your wallet. Most cars are designed to run just fine on regular gas.

2. Keep your tires properly inflated

Low tires will reduce your mpg significantly. Even more importantly they compromise safety and handling.

3. Don’t idle for long periods of time

When you are idling you are getting 0 mph. Turn off your engine if you expect to sit more than 30 seconds.

4. Drive smoothly

Fast acceleration can reduce your mileage by 2 to 3 mpg. Get up to speed and use your cruise control. Keep your lead foot under control.

5. Get a tune up

A tune up on your car can reveal both minor and major issues. If an oxygen sensor is out on your car, it can end up causing your car to use much more gas than is necessary and thus drain your fuel tank much faster. Simply tuning up your car can boost your gas mileage by 1 to 2 percent and fixing a broken sensor can increase it by up to 40 percent.

I recently went down to Marv’s to fill my gas tank. I handed Aaron a $50 and said “fill er up” He did and came back for more money. Shocking! (I am lucky to have a very smart grandson who is a mechanic and takes good care of my car.) Just remember I grew up in the olden days when a gallon of gas was something like 39¢. Today here in Podunk the price is $3.80 per gallon. So it is very important for me to try to save as much money as I can.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Nah. my wallet is more like a portable MOTH COLLECTION...LOL!

1) I always get REGULAR (with a premium top-off every 5th tankful or so...just a personal preference...no engine knocks for me)

2) Always do that too (have my own portable compressor).
Dad always told me to "change out that WINTER air with SUMMER air"...LOL
(helluva sense of humor)

3) Can't help it at those LONG red lights...can we?
(thank you, Fort Wayne city planners)

4) Right - no jackrabbit starts OR stops.

5) Always get one when I need it (and you know when you need one if you're paying attention)

I topped of last week and it "only" cost me $33!
Wifey usually plunks down $50-$60 per fillup.
(she does drive a lot more when school's in session)

What amazes me are all these mooks around here with NO JOB and yet have ALL this money to buy ALL the gas they need to make 10 trips a day to and from their rental cribs...amazing!
Didn't know the EBT cards gave out free gas...!?!

Good post and sound advice.

Stay safe (and frugal) down there.

CWMartin said...

Bob, I think they use the EBT cards to buy the siphon hoses...