Monday, September 10, 2012

forgiveness

 
  1. for-give
    /fərˈgɪv/ verb
    –verb (used with object) to grant pardon for or remission of (an offense, debt, etc.); absolve.
    to give up all claim on account of; remit (a debt, obligation, etc.).
    to grant pardon to (a person).
    to cease to feel resentment against: to forgive one's enemies.
    to cancel an indebtedness or liability of: to forgive the interest owed on a loan.
    verb (used without object) to pardon an offense or an offender.



I don’t think I understand how forgiveness works. I mean, I get how you can agree to let something go. But, that doesn’t mean that whatever occurred was OK. It just means you will try to get by it, right? But, does it also mean that when you think back on whatever occurred that it shouldn’t still burn your butt? Because if it didn’t burn your butt, that sort of implies that it (whatever action) was somehow OK or justified. Which it probably wasn’t. Which is why it upset you in the first place. But if it does still burn your butt, then you haven’t REALLY let it go, have you?
OR
Not feeling resentment or upset about something that hurt you would imply a certain neutrality to the situation, an ability to disconnect from the events. Which if you were truly disconnected, likely would not have resulted in your state of offense. So, you wise folk of the blogosphere, what’s the deal? How does forgiveness work? I can't seem to nail it down here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can forgive, but that doesn't mean you ever forget. It may always be in your mind, but you just move on. You don't dwell on it. I know, personally, I must, as a christian, forgive. And I always do. Not always immediately, but eventually I do. Does that mean I forget what happened? No, not at all. But I can forgive in my heart, but I don't have to have any contact with the person who hurt me.
Hope this makes sense to you.
AOB

Bob G. said...

MsN:
I like the way AOB explained it...that works for me.

I'm one to view the ACTION(s) FIRST...and then the person.
Forgiving an action is easier than forgiving the person anyway.

But you forgive the person...eventually.

It's a rough trail to ride along, that's for sure.
But it's not impassable.

Good post - lots of food for thought.

Stay safe down there.

CWMartin said...

I think my problems begin with forgiving myself. If I'm not off the hook, nobody is, really. Forgiving someone else ALWAYS starts with forgiving myself- even if it's for having the unforgiving attitude in the first place.