Saturday, April 3, 2010

Rip-offs

If there is anything in this world I hate it is being ripped off. Now I am all for making a profit, after all I was in business for many years. But it is the out and out rip-offs that burn my butt.

1. Theater Popcorn… a mark up of 900%

2. Free Credit Report dot com… I decided to check my credit report and filled out the forms. I was a little upset when they charged me .99¢ but even more upset when the next month there was a $15.00 charge on my debit card. When you charge money despite the word “free” being in your corporate name, it’s tough to argue that your service isn’t a rip-off to consumers.

3. Premium gasoline…For whatever reason, many people believe that filling up with premium grade gasoline is somehow “better” for their car, or even that it “cleans out the engine.” Others actually believe that it is essential to put premium gas in their car and that it will malfunction if you try to run it on anything less. For most drivers, nothing could be further from the truth. Just check your car’s owners manual. If you need to use premium gas for a legitimate, mechanical reason, it will be stated in the manual so many times that it will be impossible to miss. Luxury cars (like Cadillac's, for example) often require premium gas because their high performance engines require higher octane – that is, slower burning – fuel. But if your owners manual makes no mention of it, you are simply wasting money on each premium gallon you purchase.

4. Printer ink cartridges… they sell you a printer at a discounted price. then hit you with outrageous costs for ink refills. Each cartridge contains about the amount of in in a regular bic pen. Yep.. RIP OFF. I buy generic cartridges on line and get free shipping and fast delivery.

There are many more.. like dental floss.. get a load of how much they charge for that piece of string. My Dish network bill every month. I watch only about 20 channels but pay for 250. And they are grouped so I have to subscribe to that plan to get the stations I watch.

Just my opinion.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I do perform a #3 every 5th fillup...simply because the octane rating IS higher and burns differently for my old V-6.

I used to only put "plus" in my first car (89 octane in a '68 Buick Skylark w/ a 350 CID engine), until I once had to put some "regular" in it (was running on *E*). After that, the engine knocked like a damn bill collector, until I went back to using PLUS.

So, there might be a smidgen of fact to that...who knows?

- Theater popcorn?...I don't go to the movies anymore. Can't stand the audiences.

- It's only "free" for THIRTY DAYS...we cancel within the 3rd week!
(twice a year...lol)

- Printer carts are one of THE largest rip-offs invented (aside form the current administration in D.C.)
$25 bucks for about 100 PAGES that I HAVE to print within a few months before the cart dries up?
WTF good is THAT?
Gime a damn XEROX machine~!
Better still...MIMEOGRAPH!

ANd I am with you on the cable/satellite charges...I watch MAYBE 20-25 channels, but I've got all these crap music channels and sports that don't appeal to me one damn bit.
BUT, if I want THE OUTDOOR CHANNEL (for the shooting shows), I have to SUBSCRIBE to it.

Hell, I'll GIVE YOU BACK those 200 channels I DON'T watch for the ONE I will.

(sorry, no can do)


It's enough to make you spit PLAID!

Good post - keep those hits coming!