Friday, December 3, 2010

Integrity is in short supply now.

I'm an honest person. Most of my friends that are honest. People get away with whatever you let them. I've seen that with big corporatio­ns and the government­. It's also true for us ordinary folks. I've experience­d this firsthand in relationsh­ips. It probably sounds pretty cynical, but it's something I learned early on. I put a lot of faith in people and expect them to be moral, honest and that they stand by their word. I trust them to do the right thing.

I don't know where I rate on the scale, but I try to be honest and to live a life of integrity. I think all lies start with a lie to yourself, and this is where I concentrat­e my efforts. We have no control over others, we only have control over ourselves. All we can do is lead by example, and unfortunat­ely it seems as if many people lead with the wrong kind of example. I'm not so sure that things are any different today than they were decades ago.. There are many days that I don't have much faith in the goodness of others, yet I want others to have faith in my goodness. It's a double edged sword. I want things to be different, I want everyone to act with honesty and integrity. But I can only work on my own honesty and integrity and hope it rubs off on others.

Integrity is in short supply now. But I am patient…..and hopeful.

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I swear that over the years, I've developed "fire-proof" skin...because of all the times I was "burned", but I, like you, DO carry some hope for humanity in general (and others in particular).

I WANT to think that we, as asociety ARE better than what we portray these days.

In some cases, I do see progress.
Other places, not so much.
But as long as we make the ATTEMPT to live our lives as honestly as possible, never bowing to apathetic conventionality, and just following the crowd...we'll all do OK.

In that, we see so many things alike.

Excellent observations.

Have a great weekend!

ms nk rey said...

We were raised by stay at home moms, who watched us like a hawk. We lived by rules and if we broke the rules punishment was swift and certain. (and painful) Today's generation has been brought up in day care or have "raised" themselves, with no ultimate or consistent authority. They have no moral compass and no words can ever set them right.

indy said...

i think its all about what the stay at home mom was like....i could have had no moral compass. but, i perfer to have one. and if we really look at todays generation alot of them have stay at home moms. they are called welfare moms. but, they are stay at home. they just dont take advantage of a good thing that they have to raise their kids right.