Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Hooker or Compulsive Hoarder?

I AM A HAPPY HOOKER

I have been crocheting for at least 30 years now. I started off with granny squares and really never attempted to do anything remotely challenging because following the patterns was very intimidating to me. Then one day I was getting tired of making granny square afghans and decided I wanted to make other things and realized there are so many things you can make with crochet. So, I was determined to learn to read patterns and I did. Of course there were mistakes along the way, but I learned from them and now I'm doing good. My favorite thing to crochet is afghans. I love making all kinds of different afghans. My goal is to make every afghan I see that I like....I can dream can't I?

I think I may be a compulsive hoarder, and/or a happy hooker. The two probably feed off each other.

SIGNS OF A COMPULSIVE HOARDER
•An excessive amount of clutter (yarn/thread/patterns/stash) that limits living space
•Difficulty categorizing & organizing items (patterns/hooks/stash)
•Holding onto possessions that seem of little or no value (remnants/small pieces of yarn/thread)
•Severe anxiety when trying to throw out an object (WIPs/UFOs)
•Trouble making decisions about possessions (GOTTA HAVE, GOTTA HAVE)
•Feeling anxious, embarrassed or depressed because of clutter (OMG!)
•Fears about needing items that could be thrown away (you just might NEED it one day for something!)

CONCLUSION: I am both and now you know.

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Something that fascinated me growing up (when all the world was a wonder to treasure) was watching my grandmom "tat"...!
I have never seen anyone do that since she passed...and she made some beautiful doilies.
And in all kinds of colors.

I've always been in awe of women that can do that...or knit...or crochet..or even quilting.
Hell, my Mom could sew up anything at all. She made most all my clothes when I was young.

I admit I haven't the patience (clearly) for THOSE activities...the most I ever did was some pot-holders in elementary school...LOL.
I've always made models, just not as much as I used to.

But we each have our gifts...and God bless you for yours.

Stay safe down theree

CWMartin said...

My mom spent probably 1/3 of the twelve years I walked the earth with her crocheting. Mainly for the fun. She would create these huge designs, and pull 'em back apart when she was done and start over from scratch. I doubt I would've gotten away with calling her a happy hooker, though.

Cindy Caudle said...

I love to crochet. Keeps me from eating at night. I really like to crochet hot pads because I don't to count of think. I do crochet afghans. We call them blankets.

Your description of a Hoarder fits me to a "T". I secretly knew I was one. All my crafts are in one room, so my house isn't messy. Just that room.