Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Quitting smoking.

As most of you know I am an ex smoker. Or should I say an ex Heavy smoker. At the end I smoked up to 3 packs a day. I smoked for many years, I loved smoking. I loved my addiction. Cigarettes were my best friend, I could depend on them, they were with me through my divorce and through the good times too. In 2001 I got very sick, my chest was congested and I could not breathe, I coughed so hard I broke a rib. And the cough was non productive.. I had no insurance so I held off going to the doctor. This almost cost me my life. After being sick for almost 2 months I ended up in the ER. The damage I had done to my lungs was irreversible and I had low o2 levels. To make a long story short, I ended up on oxygen 24/7 and I have been since late 2001. Had my lungs not been damaged by years of smoking I would not be hooked to a machine 24 hours a day. Part of this disease is its slow progression. I grow weaker and weaker. I do very little any more. I have a lady who cleans my house for me. A special friend who does my shopping and of course my family who are quick to come to my aid no matter how big or small my problem might be. There are many more friends who do wonderful kind things for me. (You know who you are) I heard horror stories of how hard it would be to quit smoking. It was not the easiest thing I have ever done but it really was not all that bad either. It is the best thing I have ever done for myself. If you are a smoker please consider quitting. Don’t be like me and wait too long. Please stop smoking now. I would not wish my limited life on anyone.

7 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I know I should quit (as well as the Missus), and I also know that whenever I say:
"I'll do it tomorrow"...
the NUMBER of "tomorrows" I have now are a lot FEWER.
I know that, too.
Not to mention...it's getting VERY expensive.
(I still have my pipes, but that's no solution.)
And after hearing the "side effects" of thsoe QUIT SMOKING remedies...'ya wonder what's worse.

I'll keep trying, though.
Thanks for the good advice.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting that. I know first hand, how difficult your days are for you. I also know that quitting smoking IS very difficult for women, more so than men. At least that is what I have found to be true. Most men I know who have quit have not had a problem, but I know how hard it was for me & members of my own family. But if I could offer one piece of advice for my grandchildren it would be to please, please never pick up that first cigarette. It shortens your life span whether you believe it or not.
Thanks for posting this. You are the best.
AOB

springtime36 said...

Praying for you and all smokers that they will read this and quit....

Joanne said...

You are in my prayers! And thank you for sharing so much of yourself to help others. Blessings, Joanne

CWMartin said...

My dad learned the hard way about giving up smoking... a long slow decline into lung cancer, two weeks of being only partially lucid, and death at 67.

ms nk rey said...

Thanks everyone. All in all my life is good I just have some limitations on my mobility. I try to accept it with grace and keep a positive attitude and all the time know I did this to myself. When I am out little kids look at me like I am a monster (with my nasal cannula) I just smile and say promise me you will never smoke, I did see what happened to me? I would urge all smokers to quit. This is a hard life to live.

Alice said...

Ex-smoker here too. VERY HARD TO QUIT...I would never want to go through that (quitting) again.

I hope others will take your advice.