Saturday, February 26, 2011

Old People

I think old people are under utilized. Old people end up searching for something to give meaning and purpose to their days. Old people still want to save the world. Most people just ignore old people until some disease or other takes over and they are way past the point of no return. A lot of old people are ignored, bored and lonely. What old people need is something important to do. Grandparents used to be ask their opinions on important decisions. Old People helped and supported the family by babysitting and they were an integral part of the extended family. How does this work in your family? Do you value the lessons your grandparents taught you? Do you listen and enjoy hearing your family history? Do you honor old people? We can learn much from old people.

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I've always held older folks in a sort of REVERANCE (starting with MY APRENTS and THEIR peers)...like they knew damn near everything (and most all of them DID).

Today's older people seem to be relegated to a more "disposable" nature (societally-speaking).
That's unjust and unfair...to us all.

The reverance, the honor, the dignity, and the respect all seems to be MIA.

There used to be nothing more fun as I was growing up than to be told the "tales" of bygone eras.
(wish I took notes)

The accompishments that seniors have made to our families and to this country are staggering, if we stop to think about it.

And it's all a bit humbling (for me).

I think we need to cherish those going before us...spend time and effort in making them feel as vital and as important as we can.
Because they ARE.

They won't be with us forever.

Excellent post!

ms nk rey said...

I once heard someone say that when an old person dies it is like a library has burned down. I wish I had paid more attention and given more time to my elders. It used to be family looked after family. Now they are put into nursing homes and often times with little to no contact with friends and family. I think these long winter days inside have made me think about the "old" days. Ah but just 22 days till spring.

Anonymous said...

Hey, now WE are the "old people".