Sunday, November 11, 2012

Comic books

Back when I was growing up one of the biggest reading outlet was comic books.  My parents tolerated them but the truth was comic books inspired me to read.

Back then comic books were featured at the drug store, ten cent store, and most everywhere else. They were 5¢ each. I would save my money and go to the local drugstore, and buy my favorites.  After reading them my friends and I would trade them.  I don’t see comics around any more.  I think you have to actually go to a comic book store to purchase them nowadays.

We had a series called Classics Illustrated.  They were fantastic. If it wasn’t for them I never would have read actual books.  Seeing them in a comic book form started me reading books with out actual pictures.

Some I remember were White Fang,  The Three Musketeer's, Jungle Book, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

I sort of miss comic books.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MsN:
Oh my God, I wish to hell I STILL HAD all my C.I. comics...those and the GOLDEN BOOKS for kids.

While I still have a fairly good (superhero) collection, I miss those REAL comics.
Tha artwork was really good, too, and they kept to the original books very well.

Nowadays, it's all about GRAPHIC NOVELS...fancy schmancy way of calling a comic book by another name, and than charging $4.95+ per copy!
Whatta ripoff!
I agree with you - I honestly DO MISS real comic books.

Excellent post.

Stay safe 9and well-read) down there.