Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Regrets


I try very, very hard not to live my life with regrets. We are only going in one direction, forward. No amount of begging, pleading or pretending can turn back the hands of time; that much I know is true. As the mantra goes - “In life, we regret the things we didn’t do, more than the things we did.” However, there are some things that I did in my life that I’ve come to feel not so sure about.

I don’t regret them per se. Just feel that my life could have been very different had I chosen an alternative route. Not a better ending just a different one. I suppose that we all have felt that way at one time or another.

Everyone has had regrets. We need to let them go and look forward. What is done is done, now, we can only try to do better.

My life would have been very different had I chosen another path. But nonetheless, my life is still enriched by the decisions I’ve made, the friendships gained and the experiences. My learning journey never stops. Life is full of lessons - the question is whether I choose to learn from them.

My generation was raised to marry and have children. Be a stay at home mother, unless you wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. My family did not encourage me nor did they give me that option. And I sometimes think how my life would have been different had I had that opportunity. I remember to this day, my dad saying to me, " Your graduation present is your room and board paid in full to date. From now on you will pay $10 per week rent." I also remember overhearing my parents say they hoped I would find some one to take me. All my life I worked in low paying jobs, from a cashier to a waitress to baking pizza's in front of a hot oven. But I think I turned out ok. And I know some other people who think so too.

My hope is that I have been able to take those experiences and used them in a positive way. I certainly tried. The greatest joy that I have is seeing my kids happy and the smiles on the faces of my grandchildren. It gives me strength! Come on tomorrow! I'm ready!

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

Wow..have you struck a nerve with me (but that's fine...it's a good thing).

I've dealt with this issue SO many times, it's no longer funny (unless you use the "peculiar" aspect of humor).

And YES, I made my baker's dozen share of WRONG TURNS at life's crossroads...
Some worked themselves out...others, not so much.
(BTW, your Dad sounded a LOT like mine...LOL)

Then I think of Sinatra singing "MY WAY"...and things seem just a bit more tolerable.

We will ALWAYS all have regrets, and we can NEVER erase them (or the situations surrounding them), but, like anything in life that requires emotional content...we never dismiss it, but rather LEARN from it...and LEARN to live WITH it.

And we all become better for the experience, whether we even know it or not.

VERY good post!

(thanks)

B.G.

ms nk rey said...

Aww Glad you liked it I worked hard on that one. This writing thing does not come easy for me. Thanks for the comment and thanks for dropping by.

Anonymous said...

I think you turned out good Gram!