Thursday, June 4, 2009

When did I get old

Was it the first time I got a senior discount with out asking? I was mid 40’s and it was some teenager cashier in Long John Silvers. I was so upset I called the manager and insisted paying back the discount. It was only a few cents and dammit no one was calling me old for a few pennies. I believe I threw what was called a white trash fit and it was so bad that even the couple in the next booth chimed in on it. They were still arguing as they left.

Or was it when I started getting AARP letters inviting me to join. I was only 50 then.

Maybe it was when I started having to get up in the middle of the night to pee.

It could have been when I noticed my first gray hair, or when my kids said, “mom you already told me that.”

Or was it when my old bones could predict the weather?

Maybe it was the letters from the funeral home inviting me to pre arrange my funeral.

I personally think it was the day I discovered my arms were to short for me to read a road map in the car.

Along the way I decided it no longer worth the trouble to hold my stomach in and I started reading the obituaries in the news paper first every morning.

I feel like I am just minutes away from spending an afternoon sitting on the porch discussing my artificial hips and that garbage the kids call music these days.

Inside of me still lives a 21 year old. I may be an old biddy on the outside but my heart is still young. I refuse to act my age, so world get out of my way here I come!!

No comments: