Friday, May 6, 2011

Death

I think it is a good subject to talk about at any age. You never know when death will happen. You have to do this or your family is left clueless. You need a will even if you have no children. Are there any insurance policies? Are the beneficiaries current? Do you know where the policies are? What about the bills? Write down who gets paid what and when. Keep that list current. Do you pay bills online? Make a list of the web site addresses, username and passwords. Do not store it on the computer! Put it with the policies. Keep that list current. You need marriage certificates, birth certificates, certified copies of both. You also need divorce papers if there has been a divorce. Also social security cards are needed. Make your wishes known if you want to be cremated or not. Make a will. Don't leave it up to the kids to decide how to split anything. Even in the best of families death causes somebody's brain to malfunction. I don’t think I have ever seen or heard of a funeral that did not have some one feeling slighted or offended.

And NO I am depressed or anything it is just something I feel the need to take care of. Yesterday I inhaled a tiny piece of food. This happened around 2 pm. Since I have so little lung function, it took forever to cough it up. At about 3 am I was finally successful, today I am so sore. Never at any time was I in serious danger, but it did make me think. So I am now working on getting more organized. I am the sort of person who is satisfied with what I have and do not envy what others have. So most everything I own is paid for. It should be simple.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I've seen the fragility of life way too often, and I know I am guilty of wanting to "delay the inevitable".
I try a lot to get things together in the event of my demise...
And that's not an easy thing to do (for me).
I worry more about my wife...how she would manage.
Gone are those days of youth when we all "knew" were invincible and live forever.
Got more years BEHIND me than in front.

And it seems every day you turn around and someone else is gone.
You want things to stay the same...locked in some moment of time past...and never lose it.

Our debts are few and small. THat's a good thing, I suppose.

Just don't want to leave this world before whatever it is I'm supposed to do gets done...
That's all about faith.

Interesting post...very thought-provoking.

Have a good weekend.
And stay safe down there.

CWMartin said...

My first thought was dang, mom, stop scolding me. Second thought was, you know she's right.