Monday, April 20, 2009

Burden on Society



The fact is smoking takes years off your life. However, non-smokers that live longer cost Society more. Studies show smokers die about 10 years earlier than non – smokers. These premature deaths provide a huge savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pension plans and more. I worked all my life and paid in far more than I will ever collect. I live on Social Security and funds from a private pension plan. I understand that non-smokers consider what I did to myself as dumb and stupid. But, do they understand that I know it? I mean come on! How could I not know? No need to look down on me because I am a bit slower to move out of your way.

I am paying the price for my bad choice to smoke. But I think I am a stronger person because of it. I fight every day to make changes in my life and to hold on to my independence. I am very lucky that my family stands by me and changes with me. Never once have they made me feel useless or in the way. They are always understanding and helpful to me. They have more compassion, courage and strength than I could ever have. They have never acted ashamed of me and they encourage me to take part in life. People look at me like I am a burden to society, but guess what? I am still moving, still walking, still taking part in life.

There is a universal desire people have to be treated with dignity, kindness and equality. I sometimes feel like I am a “burden on society”.

Definition of: Burden to Society from the Urban Dictionary.
Someone who causes a great deal of destruction and chaos to the people/society they live in. Burdens to society are in trouble way more than the average person. Burdens are usually outcast by society because they cause too much trouble.

No comments: