Thursday, April 16, 2009

What is COPD

I thought I will maybe try to explain a little bit exactly what this COPD thing is and how it affects me. It is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. It is a progressive disease that makes it hard for me to breathe. Progressive means it gets worse over time.
Cigarette smoking is the leading cause and I was a long time smoker. Some of my symptoms are wheezing, chest tightness and very short of breath. Since I stopped smoking I no longer have the hacking coughing fits I used to have.. ah what a relief.
You usually don’t know you have it until you have one of these symptoms. and usually by then you have already lost up to 50% of your lung function. It develops slowly over the years and I would be lying if I said I did not notice this happening to me. But I adapted and kept right on smoking. There is NO cure, but with proper treatment you can feel better live a productive life and slow the progress of this disease. It will worsen over time and will limit your ability to do even the most routine activities, like walking, cooking, bathing and or taking care of yourself. I have much to look forward to.
Today for instance I was to go out and get my hair trimmed and colored ( that is just between us, as no one knows I enhance my hair color) I checked and the humidity (my enemy) was 99% here. So I had to reschedule my appointment. Not a big deal but still part of my disease. Mind you I am not complaining one bit I simply want to inform you all about what a rotten disease this is.

Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them. - Lou Holtz

No comments: