Friday, April 10, 2009

My New Normal


Each of us has our normal. Growing up I thought my family was normal. (Was I ever wrong about that) And in our way it was, but only to us. Now as I am in my “new” normal, I try to keep a positive attitude and look for the good, appreciate what I have (not what I don’t have) some days I get so tired, each breath is a struggle and yet I keep pretending I am happy to just be alive. It is very hard to force myself to do my basic every day things, like bathing, cooking, or simply walking across the room. Right now I am avoiding doing anything, as it is a rainy day in Indiana, and it feels like an elephant just plopped down on my chest.

But I am grateful to be alive. I accept the fact that everything is a struggle for me. So my new normal for today is slow, move at a snail’s pace, it also means that I may need help with some things. What ever I do it takes me so much longer to accomplish it and uses so much of my energy just to breathe that it exhausts me. And believe me that sucks. So instead of feeling helpless today I will focus on what I can do. And I can do a lot but I do it just a little slower, with a lot more effort and a greater feeling of satisfaction when I complete it.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

As someone who is in his mid-late 50s, I can SO agree with what you've said.
I have to KEEP reminding myself that: "I'm not 25 anymore"...and that's kind of hard for me.

One thing I will NEVER come to terms with is that nowadays, all my body NEVER "wakes up" at the SAME TIME...lol.

Thanks for your insight.
I needed it.

And do have a Blessed Easter.

B.G.