Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How many kids are too many?


How many kids are too many and do we have the right to tell someone they have too many kids?

I am a big fan of the Duggars. They live in Arkansas and have 18 children, and are expecting their 19th later this year. They will also become first time grandparents next month when oldest son Josh and his wife Anna have their first child a baby girl. They seem like a very happy family. From what I have seen they all seem to be very happy children who love their parents and their siblings very much. None of them seem resentful towards their parents for the choices they have made. Yes the older children look after the younger one, and yes they have chores, and yes they are all home schooled, and yes they all know the meaning of responsibility. Now granted TV sometimes only shows the happy side of life. I still feel like they are a very happy family. Also, the adult Duggar’s take very good care of their family monetarily and are living debt free. (They own several commercial rental properties) I feel like as long as everyone is taken care of, they are not digging a hole of debt into the ground, and they aren't living off of the government then there is really no problem with it. I personally would not want to have 19 children but it is a free country. Watching their show 19 kids and counting is inspirational. I do not know how Michelle manages it all.

Since you know how I feel about the Duggar’s I am sure you can guess what I think about the Octomom. Octomom was photographed getting her nails done shortly after giving birth to her octuplets. She seems completely “me me me” But the Duggar’s are all about family in their house is more like “we we we” She has 14 kids she can’t pay for. Outrageous! How could a woman on welfare be so irresponsible? She obviously does not have the means to take care of all of those children and she knowingly and willingly chose to have them. She even had in vitro. I watched the Octomom documentary and it was like watching a train wreck. She has no idea what she is doing and the kids are the ones who will suffer. So do I feel like one can have too many children? Yes. Do I think the Duggar’s have too many children? No.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I heartily agree, and for ALL the reasons you mention...

You cannot just "have kids" with NO thought whatsoever about HOW you plan to RAISE them, HOW you plan to HAVE THE MONEY to assure they are brought up in the proper environment and have what they NEED to get by until they can find their own way...
You just cannot and should not.

Then again, I get to see the result of the exact OPPOSITE behavior every day on my streets...
And all at the taxpayers' expense!
So you could say my perspective is really "unique", in that way.

God bless teh Duggars
God help octomom.
(simple, huh?)

Good post!