Thursday, March 18, 2010

Waiting for Happiness

For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin..real life...But, there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time to be served or a debt to be paid..then LIFE would begin.
At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my LIFE. This perspective has helped me see that there is no way to happiness... but that happiness is the way.

So, stop waiting until you finish school, until you go back to school, until you lose ten pounds, until you have kids, until your kids leave the house, until you retire, until you get married...until you get divorced, until Friday night, until you get a new car, or home, or job, until your song comes on the radio, until spring, summer, winter or fall...until you have a drink, until you sobered up, or until you die, to decide that there is no better time to be happy then NOW!!

3 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
This is profound (to me, anyway) on more than a few levels...
I've gotten damn close to "grabbing that brass ring" more than a few times.
And yes, there were (and are) obstacles to be hurdled.

I think the real joy in life is not so much looking AT all the things "in our way" in life (and dodging them), but rather seeking ways of either OVERCOMING them, or living WITH them.

That (to me) seems like a good prescription for contentment.
And if we never stop to evaluate, learn and proceed in our lives, we wind up with "those ponderous chains we forged in life", as Dickens wrote. I hate dragging all that crap around.

The only thing worth waiting for is (good) PIZZA...
Everything else demands our attention to some degree, and we can derive joy from tending to those things, instead of "waiting".
If need be, do like the Pizza guy...give yourself a THIRTY-MINUITE window...then move on and get happy.

Great post...lots to ponder.


:)

ms nk rey said...

Thanks for your comment. I am a charter member of the old too soon smart too late club. What can I say I am a slow learner. Thanks for your comment, and thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

Don't let you life be what happened while you were waiting for it to start. Make each minute as special as you can. Carpe Diem!
Snakefoot