Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My horizons continue to broaden.


A deficiency in my vocabulary has been brought to my attention. I have an impressive command of words that I am fearful of using in sentences. They are generally words that I read and can comprehend their meaning via context, but to spontaneously employ them in an original sentence? It makes me much afeared, friends. But this new word was no blockbuster. It was hank.
Yes, hank. Not the name Hank, like Hank Aaron. But like a hank of yarn. Which I always assumed were skeins or balls no matter what shape they were. And I would tend to chose “skeins” over “balls”, because, well, I’m just not grown up enough to discuss balls with a straight face. I’m working on it. I've come a long way toward adulthood in the past couple of years.
My horizons continue to broaden. So I say "Hanks for the Memories"

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
You say whatever you feel you need to...if this old city boy has trouble, I got me a dictionary within reach...LOL

I remember a HANK of hair.
Skeins meant YARN to me, as well.

But who has the SKEINS to mention that THESE days, eh?

ANd who says: "Pass me those CAJONES of yarn, martha"?

I love what I learn here.

Have a great day.