Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dear Summer,

I miss you, summer. I miss hearing the Harley’s drive by. I look at the chairs in my little pink shed and think of the days I spent happily ensconced in one and in your warm embrace. Barbecues aren't the same without you, and ice cream just doesn't appeal to me these days. Even baseball, despite spring training just isn't the same without summer.
We had a deal. You would come early. Is that too much of a commitment for you?
In return, I promised to take full advantage of you, to make the most of our summer fling, to show you off to my family at cookouts, to ogle your beauty out in back, to laze around listening to soft music and enjoying your company. Was that not enough? I can do more! I promise!
I'm sorry if some of my friends were rude last year, complaining that you were "oppressive" and "too much" and even calling you "sticky." I tried to tell them that you were still better than your bitch sister, winter, but they wouldn't listen. Now I fear they may have scared you away for good. I really mean it....I'm sorry! I'll be better this year! Come Back! I miss you...

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
I honestly used to love summer, in spite of the mosquitos and the heat.
Summers were always a time of fun, either with friends or family.
Today...not so much.
Summer where I now live boils down to one word...NOISE.
And it's not the birds singing in the trees type of noise, or even children playing kind of noise.
THAT noise would be most welcome.
It's all the boomcars and people shouting at one another type of noise that takes the wind out of my sails.
When other people's "lifestyle" drowns out everything but your thoughts, it makes summer seem less...well, "summer-like".
But it is nice to remember what it USED to be...or COULD be.
Wonder if MY "letter" would carry any weight?

AT least in WINTER, there are fewer "noisemakers" to bother oneself.

:)