Friday, May 29, 2009

Aggravation


I subscribe to one of the well known satellite TV Companies. (D**hN**W**K) I have been with this one for a little over one year. Ever since I have had their service, my one HD box, (it is a dual receiver box and works my downstairs tv and the one in my bedroom) would lock up at least once or twice a week and need a cold reset, which involves turning it off and waiting a couple minutes, then turning it back on. Simple… I think not. Once it is back on it must search for the satellites and then download the viewing schedule. This takes about 10 minutes and involves me going down stairs and then back up again, which takes a long time, as I must stop and rest.(Remember I am on oxygen) So you can see it is not an easy thing for me to do. Yesterday it went nuts, it sent a message that my smart card was inserted improperly, it had not been touched and I know this because I live happily alone. Then I tried to make a phone call and I have an open line. So I call the phone company (Verizon) on my cell phone and they say “sure we will come and check it out for $70.00” After a quick never mind. I called my middle son; he showed up after work and by process of elimination found it to be the HD satellite box phone line. Yesterday I called and was put through to a very arrogant tech.

I told him the problem I also told him the message on the screen. And it went down hill from there. I again tried to explain that no one messed with any thing. Then I got mad, now I may be old, and I may be disabled but I am not stupid and he was treating me as tho I was. I hate being talked down too. I very calmly told him to knock that off in those exact words. I hate how some people treat women and/or seniors. Some day (if they are lucky enough to survive) they will be in my shoes. Any how he gave me a couple of tests to run on the system and told me to call back. Ran the tests called back and got a very nice Philippine gal named Penelope. The first tech had made no notes in my file. So go through the whole thing again. After quite a few minutes she tells me she will send me a replacement receiver, and all I have to pay is $14.99 to cover the postage. I said, “ Your equipment fails and I am to pay postage to replace it?” hmmm “ I don’t think so” she asks me to hold while she makes a call and comes back and says “ As a courtesy we will send this postage paid and include a postage paid return label.” It is to arrive in 3 to 5 days. And for this aggravation I pay $81.00 per month each and every month on time. Do you see a new provider in my future?

4 comments:

Bob G. said...

I used to INSTALL TV-sat systems for a "big box" outfit years ago....liked the technology, BUT...never liked the EFFICIENCY OF that technology.
Too unreliable.

You have WIND fade, RAIN or SNOW fade, and God forbid someone up in orbit whacks a "Comm-Sat"...you're S.O.L.

We went to VERIZON Fios (from Comcast)...good move, and GOOD customer service.

Like we used to say "in the trade":
A HAPPY customer will tell THREE people, but a PISSED customer will tell at least TEN people....

You do the exponential math from there.

Good luck in finding something BETTER.

B.G.

ms nk rey said...

I appreciate the info but VIOS has not made it this far south yet. Here in Podunk we are very limited in our choices. There is Mickey Mouse Cable company that offers like 13 channels. And the 2 satellite companies. *sigh*

Bob G. said...

There IS always the "internet" ...with sites like HULU.

I seriously think that "wave of the future" (to quote Howard Hughes in THE AVIATOR) will be to have ONE entertainment sytem in the house:
1 "monitor/TV" with a computer hooked up to it with (surround sound of course) the feed from whoever the supplier is.
Cable will pretty much go "bye-bye" and even satellite will die off, unless it's a direct INTERNET SAT-FEED.
I know some people that have hookups like this ALREADY (lucky them, eh?)

Just pray we never suffer from an EMP (electromagnetic pulse)...then we ALL go back to singing and playing the piano in the "parlor"...LOL!

B.G.

ms nk rey said...

Update: Got the new receiver yesterday middle son hooked it all up. Called in and had it activated. And got me 3 months free HBO and ShowTime. Except the TV in my bedroom is not getting the signal. He will be back later today to fix that.
Bob, back to singing and playing the piano in the parlor, you have no idea how good that sounds to me, and I can't sing! LOL.. Thanks for checking in here I do appreciate it.