Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

Mother’s Day is celebrated to honor all mothers and express gratitude for the hardships they bear in bringing up a child.
But what if you don’t have that warm fuzzy feeling toward your Mother? What if she was cold and remote to you? Every year it is a chore to find that card that is bright and flowery and says nothing about loving Mothers, how close you are, what a good mother she was etc. I used to send flowers, but it was never acknowledged that they arrived and I was never given a thank you. To this day I am the one who keeps in touch, she sometimes calls on my birthday, if she remembers. What you did say? Dementia ? No she does not have dementia she remembers every thing, every freakin, little thing I have ever done wrong in my life, and nothing I did right. My mother is very angry and I am pretty sure now that it has nothing to do with me. I spent the biggest part of my life wanting her approval. It never came and now I realize it never will. Last year for her birthday my brother arranged for a birthday party for her. It was a very hot day in June. Two of my sons and their families went to see her. There were 9 of us. We drove 2 hours one way to visit with her. OMG she was happy to see us and even hugged me, seriously that is the only hug I EVER remember from her. But then it was back to usual. Nit picky things from her, showing her anger at the world. So mom, I give up. I tried and now I quit it is up to you. You know where I live and you have my phone number. Your card is in the mail. Mothers Day always makes me sad.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

I am sorry that Mother's Day brings back sad memories for you. You can't change what your mum (or anyone!) does or says, but you can control how you react (or not!) to it.
Have a good week! Kellie

Kathy said...

Makes me thankful that I have the Mama that I have. She's 82 and I have to do a lot for her now. Live in walking distance so I'm there whenever she needs me. I don't mind because I know she loves me and my family because she shows us time and again.

Don't let your feelings about your Mom eat at you, Kay. Some people just aren't loving, period. Or can't show it.

springtime36 said...

SO SORRY ABOUT YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR MOTHER...I HAD THE BEST MOTHER IN THE WORLD AND I ALWAYS TELL MY KIDS I HOPE I AM AS GOOD TO THEM AS MY MOTHER WAS TO ME...THEY ASSURED ME I AM...I KNOW 32 YRS AGO WHEN YOU LIVED DOWN THE STREET FROM ME YOU WERE A GREAT MOM TO YOUR BOY'S AND THEY ALWAYS LOVED YOU!! YOUR FRIEND, COLLETTA

ms nk rey said...

Thanks for the comments, yes it is what it is for sure. I did cave and call her. She seemed glad to hear from me. I just couldn't not call her. I am like that.