Monday, May 18, 2009

Stuff, Why do I have so much of it?

I have so much stuff! I am not sure where it all came from but since I live alone it must all belong to me. (I am storing some stuff for my oldest son who moved to Australia and my youngest son who moved down the street) I have mixed feelings about stuff. I don’t like the throw away mentality we all seem to have any more. Just throw it away and buy another. . I think it’s most important to try to be selective with what we buy. Try to not bring all the stuff into existence. Try to think of ways to recycle the things we have. I don't know. Just thinking of the random stuff I've thrown away sitting in a landfill somewhere makes me sick sometimes. But, I do love that freeing feeling of getting rid of the old and unwanted. When I moved here 30 years ago I had 4 kids and a husband. One by one they have all left home. Including the husband. I now live alone in this big old 9 room house. Each time one of them left they took loads of stuff. I have had a couple garage sales and gotten rid of more stuff. I sometimes feel like dragging out what is left and having a huge fire. I have so much stuff. Drawers of stuff. I have one full of wires, connecters, cables, adapters, and phone cords. I have no idea what most of them are for and yet I am incapable of throwing them away. I may need them some day. Some things I hang on to because I associate them with a good memory. But if I toss the item out I will still have the memory. So I really don’t need it to remind me. And yet I hang on to stuff. So I guess I will save and collect and hoard and when I die someone else will have to go thru all this stuff and throw it away.

1 comment:

Bob G. said...

I think the reason we KEEP things, is as a visual "hint" to remind us to remember what memories were connected with it.
For after a time, memories CAN (and often do) fade away.

Yeah, I'm a sentimentalist too....so sue me...lol.