Friday, October 2, 2009

Generic or Brand Name


Most of the time... generic or STORE BRANDS cost less...again I say MOST of the time.

I know people who would rather die than buy anything generic.

Me? Not so much.

Buying Generic is a great way to save money.

Here is a list of store brand items I love

Glass Cleaner

Cereal

Coffee Filters

Flour

Sugar

Salt

Trash Bags

Cheese and so many more items.

I will ALWAYS buy the Kroger brand if it's offered. It's ALWAYS cheaper than anything else, and it functions and tastes great. I also like their generic brand of goods. There is virtually no difference in flavor or function...

Some grocery store brands are great. Buying most items generic is a great way to save money, and I am not embarrassed to buy generic. It really is a great way to save a little money, and buy something of lasting value instead of food and other groceries for too much money.

There are a lot of things I will NOT substitute. I have to have certain brands.

They are in no particular order.

1. Aluminum Foil --- I only use Reynolds foil. The other is worthless and I refuse to use it.

2. Dish soap ---- I have to have my Dawn. Nothing else will do.

3. Toilet Paper ---- no explanation needed

4. Shampoo ---- I like what I like.

5. Plastic bags ---- generic tear easily and you have to double up on them to protect your food items.

6. Laundry Detergent ---- Got to have Purex end of story.

7. Coffee ---- I have found store brand tastes burnt to me.

8. Cling Wrap ---- Saran Wrap is the only one I will use.


4 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
Now this is interesting...I get the Kroger brands myself (cost effective),but I also deviate to "name brands"

-- I like DAWN...good on grease (working on the car...hahaha)
-- TP: as long as there are no wood chunks or splinters...fine by me.
-- coffee? I like Folgers or Maxwell House, but I tend to "blend" several brands to get "my" mix (includes hazelnut)
-- shampoo..anything with cocoanut!
-- laundry detergent: not the most expensive, but never the cheapest crap either.
-- cling wrap: hate it...clings to eveything BUT what I'm wrapping.

Funny thing, what we USED to pay $50 for and get 4 bags of name brands now equates to THREE bags of generics...
Gotta love "progress" and inflation, don'cha?

Now...gotta go make up the shopping list...wow, like DEJA VU all over again...!

:)

Anonymous said...

I just got back from Kroger and saved over $3 buying their brand over the 'popular' brand. When you see a TV special of a canning plant with a row of canned green beans coming down the line...and every third can gets a store label while the rest get the brand name label, then you become a believer.
Snakefoot

Anne said...

I totally agree with you, but I need to add one more. Paper towels. I have to have my Bounty. I buy a lot of Kroger brand stuff now, but I have to admit I go to Wal Mart more often then Kroger.

Anonymous said...

I was with you until the Aluminum foil....It's all the same to me........
Your Favorite