Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nonversation



We all know what a conversation is.. so I thought I would try to define a nonversation. I define it as: A completely worthless conversation, wherein nothing is illuminated, explained or otherwise elaborated upon. Sort of political speak.

I take part in nonversations all the time. And they go like this: (the names have been changed to protect the innocent)

Me says:

mornin

He says:

mornin

Me says:

busy?

He says:

nah.....just doing the puzzle

Me says:

Sounds like fun

He says:

puzzle

He says:

is a mornin wake up thing

Me says:

Routine

He says:

along with pills and coffee

Me says:

You are in a rut? Groove?

He says:

goove is more like it

Me says:

Ah I like groove better myself

He says:

also included the feeding of the livestock and the making of the bed

He says:

and a shower

He says:

and cleaning the kitchen

He says:

and that's about it

Me says:

I have a problem and you must promise not to laugh

He says:

can I chuckle quitely to myself

Me says:

No

He says:

snicker

Me says:

If you do I will get you back

He says:

will do my best

Me says:

This is a horrible thing darlin

Me says:

and more horrible is that I am telling it

Me says:

I have LOST my remote control for big TV in living room

Me says:

and no it is not in the freezer

Me says:

don't be a smart ass

He says:

oh my god!

Me says:

I know

Me says:

Will you be sending a Hallmark?

Me says:

I am so upset

Me says:

But at least I remember I have a TV

He says:

i will see if i can find one that is approperate to the tragedy

Me says:

How can this happen?

He says:

is down in the cushion in sparky

He says:

or under sparky

He says:

or near the phone

He says:

i sense these things

Me says:

it is no where to be found

Me says:

and I was so upset I humiliated my self and ask jimmy to stop by tonight

He says:

when did the elusive critter get gone?

Me says:

last nite when I couldn't turn it off

Me says:

had to actually walk across the freakin room and push a button

Me says:

ah.....and you are sure about sparky

He says:

he is a trick bastard you know

Me says:

I did not look under him because he is very heavy

Me says:

if he took it I am gonna be so pissed

This nonverstations went on for a half an hour. Nothing of any importance was said, no solving of world problems, no exchange of ideas, nothing but our morning routine. I find it very comforting to know I have some one to have a nonversation with every day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Nonversation" is a unique communication skill not
far advanced above the cave language of grunts,
groans and the occasional moan. It is a highly
effective means of social connection, often found
around breakfast tables and widely used by men while
watching football and simualtaneously engaged in
spousal verbiage sharing.

It isn't far removed from RIM Sleep or from total
uncounciousness. There are rules governing
'nonversation'. The most important is that nothing
said is binding in anyway whatsoever. And there is
never to be accountability. The 'Duh Factor" is of
primary importance here.

I, for one, believe that 'nonversation' is the
lynchpin which holds all civilization together.

Without it, we would all certainly just spin off into
the ether!
Snakefoot

Bob G. said...

MSN:
NON-versation....wow, learned something today. Never heard that before.

I used to think all that was just CHIT-CHAT...or "small-talk"...LOL!

Now discussing behavior standrads in the classroom or urban tactics and trends on our streets...THAT is conversation (bordering on debate).

Hmm...wonder what I call "talking to myself", other than a few fries short of a Happy Meal?

...A MONOLOGUE!
There 'ya go.

:)

ms nk rey said...

He He glad you both enjoyed my post!

Anonymous said...

That is a Hoot!