Saturday, October 31, 2009

Indian Summer







I’m so enjoying a touch of Indian Summer (is that politically correct? If not I meant 'Native American summer’). I guess, I should just say I am enjoying the warm weather, but it doesn’t sound as good. Indian summer means a BONUS … EXTRA summer in fall.

The term Indian Summer is used when we experience a little revival of summer after it should have ended. The sky is usually cloudless, but hazy or even smoky looking especially looking toward the horizon.

There are several stories that tell about early settlers mistook the haze of the late New England autumn air for the campfires of Indians, thus the name Indian Summer.

For many of us in the Northern States we are seeing a “return to summer this week.”

Fall smells like golden leaves, a hint of winter’s chill and the last of the harvest.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MSN:
That is some beautiful stuff you got going on...The colors, the smells, the briskness in the air...
yepper, there is a LOT to be said to Autumn...no matter where 'ya are.

Makes 'ya wanna get a canoe...and do some "exploring"...

Have a great Indian Summer weekend.

ms nk rey said...

Glad you enjoyed it. I can't think of a place I would rather be. It is gorgeous no matter what time of the year. I am very lucky.