Friday, August 24, 2012

5 On Friday

1.What natural disasters (earthquakes,tsunami,volcanoes,wildfires,tornadoes,hurricanes/typhoons/cyclones, floods, landslides, etc) is your area prone to?
My area is prone to tornadoes, floods, and snow/ice storms.

2. What natural disasters have you experienced firsthand?
I've been in a couple tornado storms, one tornado hit where I was working, all the sudden the lights were crashing down, and it was hailing inside I looked up and the roof was gone there were some bad injuries and a couple deaths that day. Also I have slept thru a couple  very minor earthquakes-- but nothing to cause damage, just feel mild shaking.  I've also been in a few nasty blizzard/ice storm situations.

3. Have you ever been evacuated due to a natural disaster?
No. 

4. Have you made/do you make any special preparations in case of natural disaster where you live?
I used to have a tornado bag with a first aid kit, water, flashlight, some snacks, and a pair of sturdy shoes in my basement just in case.

5. What type of natural disaster scares you the most?
Seismic disasters (earthquakes, tsunami, volcanoes) because there is no reliable or timely way to predict them. Storms generally come with advance notice, even if it's only enough time to get into a basement after hearing a tornado warning siren, and floods and fires usually have contributing factors that at least give a community warning they could be possible in the near future. It would be stressful to know that earthquakes, etc, don't have a season and can occur at any time of day in any weather.

2 comments:

Bob G. said...

MsN:

1) - Shootings, boomcars, and public urination...what, they're NOT "natural disasters"?
(not even that last one?)

2) - A mild earthquake here and there...nothing to write home about.

3) - No, and I plan to "stay" regardless...my house, my rules.

4) - Always have a "go-bag" nearby..and guns (in case of zombie infestation).

5) - It's not the DISASTER that bothers me...it's the AFTERMATH...the ANARCHY that will inevitably result when people see an "opportunity" to prey on others.
When some folks don't bother to prepare, they "think" they can just take from everyone else...WRONG!

You all WORK together to survive, not LOOT together for "free stuff".

Excellent list.

Have a great weekend.

Stay safe down there.

Joanne said...

Hurricanes and the occasional garbage tossin', fence bashin', Change in car stealing, playing the horrible music in cars teenagers.....I prefer the hurricanes.
Blessings, Joanne